Brandon Freeman Project Update | Poway Custom Home
Good morning, everyone. This is Brandon with Freeman’s Construction. I’m here in Poway at this brand new custom home and ADU that we’re working on. I want to just show you what’s happening here. It’s a cold and rainy morning in San Diego terms here, bundled up the best of my ability. We’ll see what I can do to not slip and fall through this mud, but we’ve made a ton of progress on this place since my last video update. So I just want to show you what’s happening.
Poway Custom Home & ADU Project Progress
We’re here looking at the front of the home. As I mentioned we’ve made a lot of progress since our last video update. Progress that has been made:
- The house has been wrapped with Tyvek. This Tyvek house wrap, is an air and water barrier that goes on before the siding goes on.
- The roof has been completed, all dried and the shingles are on. The shingles are a Timberline, HB ultra. Ultra is a thicker of the two HB versions they have, it just gives more protection, but also gives a real thick shingle look.
- The plate line ceiling tape has been installed. It’s a tape made by Sega, it’s an air barrier that keeps the air movement coming in and out of the house. It also does wonders keeping out pests like ants and bugs.
- We got signed off on our combination frame inspection, which means they inspected all the framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, windows, low voltage, basically anything that’ll get buried in the wall. So now we can insulate and drywall, which is a big step for moving this project forward.
- The framers are here today, straight edging all the walls. They straight edge the wall, so when the drywall goes on, it’s nice and flat. You don’t want walls that look like a snake. You can cite them and they’re straight and clean and crisp.
Hot Mop Shower | Poway Custom Home
I’m not sure if it was in the last video, but these showers have also been hot mopped since the last couple of weeks. This is probably the most tried and true way to seal up a shower. What they do is they actually build up the shower pan with asphalt roof shingles. So you get the slope of the wind in the center and then they hot mop it with tar, so you sweep it all up.
Spray Foam Process | Poway Accessory Dwelling Unit
We are insulating the ADU today. We’re doing spray foam up in the attic and the traditional fiberglass batts in the wall. They are well underway with getting the pipe insulated. You can see spray foam going up in the attic face. That stuff’s pretty amazing. It goes on. It’s just a real light mist, maybe only a half inch thick, and then it spans to well over 10 inches or so.
What Advantages Does Spray Foam Insulation Have?
Freeman’s Construction Inc has been doing this in most of the homes we’ve been doing recently. A large advantage to this is that the insulating factor gives a higher r value than the traditional fiberglass batt up in the attic. There’s a bit more cost up front, but it is either savings like I said, in the roofing and also electric costs down the road and maintenance costs with units and all that in the long term. Other advantages include:
- The attic is now a conditioned space. It only varies about four degrees differently from the space below where all of the HVAC vector is pumped into. What that means is all of your ducting, hot and cold water pipe, that flows through your attic space is now sitting in conditioned space. So whether it’s a scorching hot summer, your cold water’s not up there at 150 degrees, or your hot water is not up there in a cold attic making your water heater work overtime. Your furnace unit will have a much longer lifetime.
- With the roofing, we don’t have to do any Gable vents or O’Hagin vents in the roof. So there’s the cost savings there, but
- Also you don’t have those roof penetrations overall potential for leaks. Obviously not if they’re done right, but any hole through the roof is a potential for a leak.
Finishes to Come! And More Updates
They’ll get this place entirely knocked out today with insulation and start drywalling this next week. And we’ll get to start a new phase of this project going in, towards the finishes, which is always fun for our clients to see, as it starts looking a lot more like a home because drywall is on, you can walk through the house and not look through the walls and actually feel what it’s going to feel like and paint colors start going on, cabinets go in. Very excited when they make progress here, whether it’s been fun and interesting to deal with, it’s always something that throws a curve ball this time of year, going to do your best to keep everything moving forward. And we’re doing just that. So thanks for watching. Have a wonderful day.
Information on Custom Home Building Costs!
Freeman’s Construction Inc. has been building custom homes, accessory dwelling units, and completing whole house remodeling projects in San Diego County for over 39 years. To schedule a project consultation please call us today at 760-788-6846 or fill out a request form here.
Areas We Serve:
Ramona, CA |Poway, CA | Escondido, CA | Julian, CA | San Marcos, CA |San Diego, CA | Rancho Santa Fe, CA | Lakeside, CA| Rancho Bernardo, CA | Scripps Ranch | Carmel Mountain Ranch | 4 S Ranch | Carlsbad, CA